skip to main content


King County Road Services - Traffic signs


King County's traffic code (Chapter 46.04 King County Code) is based on the Washington Model Traffic Ordinance (Washington Administration Code Chapter 308-330) which is in turn based on the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, or MUTCD developed by the Federal Highway Administration of the U.S. Department of Transportation.

The MUTCD contains standards for traffic control devices that regulate, warn, and guide road users along the highways and byways in all 50 States. Traffic control devices are important because they optimize traffic performance, promote uniformity nationwide, and help improve safety by reducing the number and severity of traffic crashes.

Related information

Federal Highway Administration

Washington State Department of Transportation

King County

To report damaged traffic signs

In unincorporated King County call 206-296-8100 or 1-800-527-6237. In cities within King County, contact the public works or transportation department.

Information from the Road Services Division's website is available to people with disabilities in alternate formats upon request by calling 206-477-3839 or 711 for the TTY relay service.

External link = External link