skip to main content


Road Services - Bridges

King County is committed to bridge safety

The Road Services Division regularly inspects the bridges it is responsible for maintaining. Sometimes we have to close bridges that are at risk including the Alvord T Bridge, which we closed in June 2013. When we are able to get grant funding, like we did with the South Park Bridge, we can replace bridges at risk rather than close them permanently.

Bridge projects

Load-limited bridges and permits

Frequently-asked questions

  • What are the load limit restrictions for King County bridges and how are they decided on?
    A bridge load rating is the measure of a bridge's load carrying capacity. National Bridge Inspection Standards (NBIS) require the posting of load limits on a bridge, if a legal load configuration exceeds the operating rating for that bridge. The bridges are posted for AASHTO trucks Type 3, Type 3S2 and Type 3-3 which are intended to encompass the majority of loads to which a bridge might be subjected. A list of posted bridges with their corresponding load limits can be found here. (640KB .pdf)

  • Where can I find a bridge maintenance schedule?
    To request the schedule for bridge maintenance, please contact the Road Services Division's Engineering Services Section by email or at 206-477-3611.

  • When should I apply for an overlegal load permit?
    As a general rule of thumb, if the bridge load limit is posted or your truck's weight exceeds the maximum legal load, you should apply for a permit. If your truck configuration matches the posted truck not exceeding the maximum amount allowed gross vehicle weight, then you may proceed without a permit - learn more.

Other agencies' bridge information

Contact us

Bridge Unit
Engineering Services Section
King County Road Services Division
201 S. Jackson St.
Seattle, WA 98104
1-800-527-6237 toll-free
206-296-8754 fax
TTY: 711 Relay Service

Information from the Road Services Division's website is available to people with disabilities in alternate formats upon request by calling 206-477-3839 or 711 for the TTY relay service.

External link = External link