skip to main content

Department of Permitting and Environmental Review

Department of Permitting and Environmental Review
35030 SE Douglas St., Ste. 210
Snoqualmie, WA 98065-9266

Phone: 206-296-6600
TTY Relay: 711

Service Center Hours

Permitting Department FAQ:
Frequently Asked Questions about permitting and land use

In an effort to provide quick assistance, answers to frequently asked questions at the Permitting Department are available by selecting the subject heading below.

Please note: the Permitting Department issues new permits for property in unincorporated King County only. For property within a city boundary (Seattle, Issaquah, Kent, etc.) in King County, you must contact the city (external link) directly. Check jurisdiction of property online to determine whether it is in unincorporated King County or inside city limits, or call the Permitting Department customer service at 206-296-6600.

About my property 

  • Lots: What is the difference between "legal lot," "buildable lot," and "taxable lot"?
  • Zoning: What is the zoning on my property and what does it mean?
  • Setbacks: What are the setbacks for my property?
  • Subdivisions: Can my lot be subdivided?
  • Building - permitted uses: What can I build on my property?
  • Espresso stands: Can I operate an espresso stand on my parcel in a residential zone?
  • Accessory Dwelling Units: Can I build an accessory dwelling unit or an accessory living quarters on my property?
  • Building plans / records: How can I find property records, such as the original plans to my house?
  • Already Built Construction: What can I do if I buy property and find out later that a structure on the property was built without permits?
  • Boundary lines: Can RCW 58.04 be used as a method for resolving a boundary line dispute?

Is a permit required 

  • Sheds: How large of a detached shed may I build without a permit?
  • Decks and guardrails: Do I need a permit to build a deck? At what height is a guardrail required?
  • Fences: How tall of a fence can I build? Do I need a permit?
  • Roofs: Do I need a permit to repair my roof?
  • Clearing: When is a clearing permit required? What happens if I clear my property illegally?
  • Grading: When is a grading permit required?

The permit process 

Electronic plan review (eReview) 

Building and land use codes 

Code Enforcement 

  • Junk vehicles: I have a junk vehicle on my property. How do I get rid of it?
  • Junk vehicle in County right-of-way: How do I get rid of a junk vehicle that I see in a county right-of-way?
  • Home auto repair shops: My neighbors are running an auto repair shop from their home. It is noisy and there are cars all over the yard and on the street. Is this legal? I don't want my neighbors to know that I complained.
  • Multiple cars on lawn: My neighbor has so many cars that the entire lot seems to be covered. I've counted 14 cars parked on the lawn. Is it legal to have that many cars?

Critical areas / Floodplains 

Septic systems, wells, plumbing and drainage 

Electrical systems 

  • Electrical: Who should I contact with questions about electrical systems or power poles?

Fire Marshal Division 

  • Burn bans: Is there a burn ban?
  • Burning yard waste: Is a permit needed to burn yard waste?
  • Fire codes: Can my architect/builder meet with someone in the Fire Marshal's office to discuss fire code issues within our building proposal?

Business licenses