What else do I need to know about food and health?
You can remember these ABCs for your health, and your family's health. These three basic messages pull together the ten guidelines that point the way to good health.
Aim, Build, Choose - For Good Health
A. Aim for Fitness
B. Build a Healthy Base
- Let the pyramid guide your food choices.
- Eat a variety of grains daily, especially whole grains.
- Eat a variety of fruits and vegetables daily.
- Keep food safe to eat.
C. Choose Sensibly
- Choose a diet that is low in saturated fat and cholesterol and moderate in total fat.
- Choose beverages and foods that limit your intake of sugars.
- Choose and prepare foods with less salt.
- It is not recommended that you drink alcohol. If you choose to drink alcoholic beverages, do so in moderation. Pregnant women should avoid alcoholic beverages.