skip to main content

Public Health - Seattle & King County

How to get a replacement Food Worker Permit

You may obtain a replacement Washington State food worker permit, if you meet the following conditions
  • Your lost permit hasn't yet expired (It is required to retake the class and test in full every time your permit expires.)

  • You took your last class and test at the Chinook Building, 401 5th Ave, Seattle.

    If the above is true, please arrive 30 minutes in advance of any class start time listed on the current class schedule, show photo ID and pay $10 cash. The class instructor will verify in their records at the class site if you are indeed eligible for a new permit and if so, a new permit will be issued to you with the same expiration date that is on record. You do not need to retake the class and test if your permit has not yet expired.

    Note:If records indicate that your permit has expired, you can stay and take the class and test to obtain a new permit or return on a different day/time on the schedule however we do highly recommend obtaining a valid food worker permit immediately or take the class online at


  • You took your last class and test using our online training method at
    You can log back into your account to print off your card but will be charged $10 again using a credit card. Be sure to have a working printer hooked up to enable you to print the card after payment. You have up to 5 days after payment to log back in and print off as many copies as you need free of charge. After 5 days, you will be charged $10 again.

How to get a replacement permit if you did not take your class and test at any of the above locations
  • Please call our Food Protection Program for assistance at 206-263-9566. If you get voicemail, please leave your name, phone number and where you took your last class.

  • If you obtained your last permit in a different Washington State county, you will need to contact the county health department serving that area for assistance.

  • Food worker permits obtained in different states and countries are not valid for work in Washington state.