Fires and carbon monoxide poisoning can be prevented by
- learning the proper use and placement of emergency generators;
- raising your awareness of the dangers of using charcoal or outdoor propane devices inside your home.
- reporting a power outage to Utility outages and energy shortages
We urge the following precautions:
- Call Puget Sound Energy at 1-888-225-5773 (1-888 CALL PSE) for generator assistance.
- Be certain that the hot muffler is kept and pointed away from any combustible material.
- Do not bring ANY charcoal or propane fueled equipment into your house. Only devices labeled for INDOOR use are safe.
- DO NOT refuel the generator while it is running.
- Clean up any fuel spills before starting the generator.
- The generator MUST be kept OUTDOORS while running.
- Make sure a qualified professional does the wiring for you, if the generator is not permanently wired into your home.
- If your generator is connected to your home electrical system, it must be done via a National Electrical Code and local/state approved transfer switch.
- Please check with us for any applicable permits.
- Never use any double ended cords to connect a generator to your home.
- Be careful not to overload the electrical capacity of the generator when connecting household appliances.
- When using extension cords to connect the generator to household appliances, make sure that exhaust cannot enter the house at the same point the extension cords come in.
- Candles - be especially careful. Never leave them burning unless you are in the room with them.
- Contact us at 206-296-6600 for additional information.