About King County and its government.
Located on Puget Sound in Washington State, and covering 2,134 square miles, King County is nearly twice as large as the average county in the United States. With more than 1.9 million people, it also ranks as the 14th most populous county in the nation.
King County: a diverse and dynamic community with a healthy economy and environment where all people and businesses have the opportunity to thrive.
King County government provides fiscally responsible, quality-driven local and regional services for healthy, safe, and vibrant communities.
The following guiding principles are values that reflect our beliefs about the roles and responsibilities of our county government:
- Collaborative – We work together effectively within the organization and in collaboration with other governments, private entities and community partners.
- Service-oriented – We listen and respond to our customers in a culturally responsive way and prioritize their satisfaction as we do our work.
- Results-focused – We establish community driven goals, measure our performance, and report to the public on our success in meeting those goals.
- Accountable – We are responsive and transparent to the public in our roles, functions and actions as individuals and as a government.
- Innovative – We are creative, learn from experience and results, and seek out new and efficient ways to solve problems and serve the public.
- Professional – We uphold the high standards, skills, competence, and integrity of our professions in doing the work of King County government.
- Fair and Just – We serve all residents of King County by promoting fairness and opportunity and eliminating inequities.